Friday 28 August 2009

More on the Four Windows model of Cognitive Emotive Narrative Therapy

Week Three: Developing the Four Windows Model of CENT

Looking at Window No.1

Introduction
Two weeks ago, and not for the first time, I outlined the four elements of the Four Windows model. These are ways of re-framing an existing problem or ‘source of suffering' in your life, so that you can feel a whole lot better about being stuck with that problem. Once you've calmed down, you can then look at whether there might be some way to reduce or eliminate the actual problem, as distinct from your emotional reaction towards that problem.

Last week I outlined an agenda for working on the development of this model. The first step in that agenda, which I will tackle today, is this:

1. I want to look at how to apply the Four Windows, one at a time, to a psychological problem, to see how it works in practice. I will, naturally, begin with Window 1, and continue through to the end. This could take four weeks, or eight weeks, or more. At the moment I have no way to estimate this process any more accurately than that.

Applying Window No.1
In 1992-93, I went through a major career crisis, when the cash flow in my company began to dry up, and I had to contemplate resigning in order to save the jobs of my business partner and our employees. I frequently felt anxious about my future financial prospects, and depressed by the loss of my office, salary and work status (which was the ‘Deputy Chief Executive' role). At the time, I used REBT to reduce my emotions to concern and sadness. That took a whole lot of effort, and went on for months and months.

...more here...

No comments: