Saturday 26 December 2009

The Complex Model of Albert Ellis's REBT

Hi,
I have just (2009, December) posted a defence of Dr Albert Ellis's complex ABC model of REBT, which was challenged by Windy Dryden and Frank Bond (1996), much of which was written by me in 2003.

http://abc-counselling.com/id184.html

CENT PAPER NUMBER ONE (A):

RETHINKING THE PSYCHOLOGICAL MODELS UNDERPINNING RATIONAL EMOTIVE BEHAVIOUR THERAPY (REBT)

Copyright (c) Dr Jim Byrne, December 2009

1. Introductory Comments

Cognitive Emotive Narrative Therapy (CENT) arose out of my attempts to reconcile Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy and certain other elements of therapy systems that I found useful: commencing with Transactional Analysis (TA), and Zen philosophy. It was also shaped by my discovery of some limitations of certain aspects of REBT therapy. However, much of the foundations of REBT still serve as important elements of CENT.

Over the period 1999-2005 I was in correspondence with Dr Albert Ellis, the creator of REBT, concerning my thinking about various aspects of REBT theory and practice, and I was always totally open about those aspects that I found most helpful, and those aspects that caused me some concern.

This paper takes up some elements of an argument mounted against certain aspects of REBT theory in 1996 by Windy Dryden and Frank Bond - Bond and Dryden (1996) - and shows that Albert Ellis had a much more complex model of mind than they had appreciated; and that I had identified some critical errors in the thinking of Bond and Dryden.

...more on Albert Ellis's complex model of REBT, here...

...more...

Dr Jim Byrne

ABC Coaching and Counselling Services

Jim Byrne's email address

PS: See the Happiness Blog

~~~

No comments: